Having shifted the Marine School to Nhava in 1912 nautical education was introduced in 1915. On December 4th 1918, a petition was submitted to the Governor of Bombay by about 650 seafarers for establishing a marine training college for Indians. However as no decision was taken due mainly to the resistance of British shipping interests, the matter was shelved. Thereafter a resolution was moved on January 12th, 1922 by Sir P. S. Srivarswami Aiyar in the Legislative Assembly “to investigate ways and means of promoting the formation of an Indian Mercantile Marine and the encouragement of ship building.” In April 1923, the Indian Mercantile Marine Committee visited Nhava and commenced negotiations with Sir Mohamed Yusuf to convert the Marine School at Nhava into a full fledged training establishment under Government auspices. Sir Yusuf declined to hand over the School to the British Government and negotiations broke down. The Petitioners thereafter approached Sir Yusuf directly to convert his school into a Marine Training Establishment, which he readily agreed to do. In 1925, the School was renamed as the Marine College, and affiliated to Bombay University. Classes were taken up to the Matriculation Level to qualify for the Home Trade Certificate of Competency. With 375 students on the register, the Marine College became the first training establishment to train Indians both as Ratings and Officers for the Mercantile Marine. Since then the Institution has gone through many trials and tribulations including the suspension of training during the Second World War, or when in the post Independence period the Government set up its own pre sea training establishment, and again in 1981, when the Expert Committee under Admiral Nanda recommended suspension of all pre sea training. The decade of the 80s however, witnessed a new chapter in the history of the Training Ship with the introduction of the IMO Modular Courses and thereafter the reintroduction of short term Pre Sea Courses for Navigating Officer Cadets in 1988, followed by Pre Sea Rating training in 1991. With the addition of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System Course in 1996, the Training Ship once again embarked on a new phase of simulator based electronic courses. The addition of the state of the art ship manoeuvring and Engine Room simulators, the Institution is poised to further reinforce its pre eminence as a premier, unaided marine educational training institution. Training Ship “Rahaman” has thus been rendering yeoman service to the Maritime community of the country for over a century and can justifiably look back to the past with a sense of pride and to the future with anticipation and confidence.
Sir Mohamed Yusuf
Shri A.Rashid A.Yusuf
This Maritime Training facility had its beginnings in the year 1910. It was also the time when the indigenous and fledgling mercantile marine of the country was experiencing a shortage of trained Deck hands and officers. This inspired Late Haji Ismail Yusuf, Proprietor of Bombay Steam Navigation Company to establish a Marine School as a charitable institution at Rashid Mansion, Worli Point, Bombay as a debt of gratitude to the seafaring community who had served bravely and loyally on the Company's ships. The purpose was also to encourage the orphans and sons of the seafaring community, irrespective of cast, creed or religion to follow in the footsteps of their forefathers. With the demise of Haji Ismail in 1912 it fell upon his son Sir Mohamed Yusuf to pursue the dreams of his father. He shifted the School to Nhava . _ the Island off the Bombay Harbour purchased by the Family in 1883. In 1914, the then Government of Bombay permitted Sir Mohamed Yusuf to establish a Marine School in Nhava. Subsequently a number of Institutions were added for the benefit of the local residents.Training Ship Rahaman, the Marine Museum, Lady Khatun Marium School and Fatma Banu Hospital and Dispensary were established at Nhava Island. Sir Yusuf also handed over the large house of Haji Ismail now the Marine Museum with its ornate gardens and spacious rooms to the School. Subsequently, these Institutions including the Marine School were managed by a Managing Board of Sir Mohamed Yusuf Trust under its first President, Mr Abdul Rahaman, grandson of the Founder.
" On the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of India's independence in 1972, the Trustees of Sir Mohamed Yusuf decided to perpetuate the memory of the Founder by registering a Public Charitable Educational Trust under the Public Trust Act 1950, and the Societies Registration Act 1960, to be designated as Sir Mohamed Yusuf Seamen Welfare Foundation. The Governing Council comprised of representatives of various interest groups of shipping industry such as shipping companies, both Foreign and Indian, Seafarers' Unions, major ports and other Patrons "with the fervent hope that this unique experiment in itself will set a trend for the future training of our Mercantile Marine." "